St. Ann's Parochial School
was constructed in 1927
and was staffed by the
Daughters of Charity. It was
a valuable resource for
Dallas' Little Mexico  
community, where
thousands of children began
their education.

In 1946
St. Ann's
Commercial High School
for Girls
was built adjacent
to the grade school. The
new school consisted of  five
classrooms, two clubrooms,
an auditorium/gym and a
new cafeteria.  

The high school continued
to prepare young girls  for
the business world until its
closing in 1965.  The
elementary school closed in
1974.

In 1999 St. Ann's Parochial
school  became the first
building in Dallas with a
Mexican history to be
declared a Landmark.
St. Ann's Alumni & Friends of Little Mexico, Inc.™
St Ann's School was located on Harry Hines
Boulevard & N. Harwood in Dallas, Texas
.
 Little Mexico   
Mosaic of Our Lady of Guadalupe
St Ann's was the Soul of
Little Mexico!
Click here for the latest copy of the St.
Ann's  Alumni and Friends of Little
Mexico Newsletter.
We the members of St Ann's Alumni & Friends of
Little Mexico Organization hold all of these
memories dear
.
Our Lady of Guadalupe Church
Did you know that, with the help of
Bishop Lynch, the first Church to Our
Lady of Guadalupe in Dallas was
erected in 1914 on Caruth (now Munger
Avenue)?  Then in 1925, the church
moved to the acquired Harwood property.
In 1977 the name of the Cathedral was
changed to Cathedral Santuario de
Guadalupe.  It is today the second
largest church in the US, surpassed only
by St Patricks in New York.  

Our Lady of Guadalupe has had a
church in Dallas for 100 years
.  
2011
Bridget Parker
WT White
$2000
Boston Univ
2011
Natalie Torres
Mabank HS
$2000
E Texas Baptist
College
2012
Jennifer Fierro
Bishop Lynch HS
$2000
Univ of Incarnate
Word
2012
Brianna Torres
Sunnyvale HS
$2000
Stephen F Austin
Univ
2012
Mateo Adame
Jesuit Prep
$1000
Univ of Notre
Dame
2013
Angelica Fierro
Bishp Lynch HS
$2000
St. Edwards Univ
2013
Erin Aley
N Mesquite HS
$2000
Texas Tech Univ
2014
Cristina Barrera
Round Rock HS
$3000
SMU
2014
Emma Fores
Highland Park HS
$2000
Univ of Arrkansas
2014
Destiny Diaz
Dr. John Horn HS
$2000
S Arkansas Univ
2014
Celeste
Montelongo
N Garland HS
$2000
Abilene Christian
Univ
2015
Patrick Miramontes
Jesuit College
Prep
$3000
Loyola Univ
2015
Michael Victor
Howel
Bishop Lynch HS
$2000
Sam Houston
State
2015
Brielle Perez
Kimball HS
$2000
Texas A&M
2015
Collin Buechel
Jesuit College
Prep
$2000
Univ of Arkansas
2016
Grace Earick
Albuquerque
HS
$3000
Rice University
2016
Christopher
Miramontes
Jesuit College
Prep
$2000
Spring Hill College
2016
Hiram Olivo
Lake Highlands
HS
$2000
University of
Arkansas
2016
Nina Flores
Highland Park HS
$2000
Texas A&M
2017
Emily Ezar
Willis HS
$5000
Texas A&M
2017
Estevan Zarate
Woodrow Wilson
HS
$3000
SMU
2017
Lucia Macias
Richland
Colligiate HS
$2000
Texas A&M
2017
Isaiah Alcala
Waxahachie HS
$2000
Texas A&M
2017
Vivica Juarez
Lewisville
HS
$2000
Dallas Baptist
University
   
TOTAL

$54000
 
    GOOD NEWS                                                ST. ANN'S SCHOOL
According to the City of Dallas, Little
Mexico was formerly a neighborhood
that was predominately populated by
Mexican immigrants at the start of the
century. It was an area bounded at the
north end by Reverchon Park, Maple
Avenue on the east side, McKinney
Avenue on the south side, and the MKT
railroad on the west side (presently
Stemmons Freeway).

For those of us that lived there,
however, it was much more than that. It
was a way of life. It was playing in a
pick up game of baseball, football on
any given day, especially the
weekends at Pike Park. It was Easter
Sunday at Reverchon Park. It was
shopping at “las tiendas”
(neighborhood grocery stores), such
as Chantaca’s, Mongaras, Martinez,
Morales, Villasana’s or Zuniga’s
(walking of course). Or getting tortillas
and “pan dulce” at Mr. Gutierrez' Todos
Tortillas or
Luna’s Tortilla Factory on
McKinney. And who can forget the
Cinco de Mayo and Dies y seis fiestas
held at Pike Park every year. It meant
working at least at “la Neuhoff”, or the
A&P, or even at the Safeway on Cedar
Springs.

It was going to school at “la Catolica”
(St. Ann’s parochial school) which was
staffed by the Daughters of Charity.  
And of course, it meant going to Mass
on Sunday and holy days of obligation
at Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic
Church on Harwood Street ( right).

Since 2011 St. Ann's Alumni & Friends of Little
Mexico has awarded scholarships to
24 qualifying high school students
JOIN US!
Enchilada Dinner
Fundraiser
Saturday May 12, 2018
12:00 noon -  5:00 pm
Dallas Police Association
Bldg
1412 Griffin St. EAST
Donation:  $7 per plate
3 Enchiladas, Rice, Beans
& Tea
Made fresh while you wait!